Texas Workers’ Rights Lawyer
If you believe your rights as an employee were violated, you should speak to a workers’ rights lawyer El Paso, TX residents trust. You have a right to go into a workplace that makes you feel comfortable and safe. When your rights are being violated, it becomes more challenging to go to work every day.
What Types of Issues Does a Workers’ Rights Lawyer Handle?
Workers’ rights lawyers advise employees on how the federal and state employment laws have been violated. Here are several issues they can handle:
- Wrongful Termination: Wrongful termination occurs when an employer fires an employee for illegal reasons. For example, an employer can’t legally terminate an employee for discriminatory reasons, like age, gender, and race. It’s also unlawful for an employer to terminate an employee for filing a legal claim against the business, such as a workers’ compensation claim.
- Sexual Harassment: Sexual harassment in the workplace includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and offensive comments. An example may consist of a supervisor asking a lower-ranked employee to perform a sexual favor in exchange for a promotion. Dealing with sexual harassment at work can be incredibly uncomfortable and demoralizing, and you don’t have to put up with it.
- Workplace Discrimination: Workplace discrimination occurs when an employee is treated less favorably than other employees due to specific characteristics, such as race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or disability. For instance, if you continuously get passed up for promotions for employees with less experience and skills, you may want to get a workers’ rights lawyer in El Paso, TX involved.
- Whistleblower Protection: Whistleblowing occurs when an employee blows the whistle on an employer’s illegal or unethical actions. Common reasons whistleblowing occurs by violating workplace safety laws, violating public health laws, and abusing authority. While whistleblowing laws protect employees who blow the whistle, employers may still try to fire them for other reasons. If you think you were fired for whistleblowing, you should speak to a lawyer.
Should I Hire a Workers’ Rights Lawyer?
If you think that your rights at your job are being violated, you should at least consult a workers’ rights lawyer. He or she will assess your situation and advise you on the best way to move forward. If you have any evidence about your case, such as emails or text messages, you should bring them with you.
Schedule a consultation with a workers’ rights lawyer in El Paso, TX, contact Davie & Valdez P.C., today.
Understand How to Manage Situations of Retaliation in the Workplace
Our workers’ rights lawyer, El Paso, TX trusts know that the impact of employment discrimination in the workplace can be far-reaching. If you have experienced discrimination in the workplace, it’s in your best interest to move forward with filing a complaint. Typically this begins by informing your employer of the issue and, in some cases, the EEOC. At Davie & Valdez, P.C., we know that you may be filing a complaint while still employed with the company. Not only can this be uncomfortable, but you may also be concerned about further retaliation. Know that in some situations, an employer who sheds light on workplace discrimination may face retaliation from the company they work for. Fortunately, our team can help manage the process of filing a complaint and protecting your rights throughout the process.
When a person is punished or treated differently for engaging in a legally protected activity, they may have experienced retaliation in the workplace. There are laws in place to prevent this from occurring, but unfortunately, retaliation can be prevalent. Here are some signs that retaliation may have occurred in the workplace:
- Job Demotion
- Experience Disciplinary Action
- Not being included in meetings
- Threats or Harassing comments
- Being treated differently
- Being terminated from your job
Retaliation is one of the most common types of discrimination claims made, and discussing your situation with our El Paso, TX workers’ rights lawyer will be imperative when taking action. Workplace discrimination can leave a profound impact on a person. Whether you have suffered harassment, discrimination, or retaliation, know that your rights have been violated. Going to your job each day when facing these forms of treatment can be damaging and leave a lasting impact:
- Financial hardship as a result of termination
- Deteriorating mental health
- Medical problems
No person deserves to suffer from mistreatment in the workplace. Taking action will be critical to holding responsible parties accountable and recovering from your losses.
The Complaint Process
Should an employee experience discrimination, there are a few steps that should be taking, including:
- File an internal complaint: The first step will be to report the complaint to your company’s human resources department. This allows them to investigate the complaint and take action to remedy the issue. Sometimes, this may be satisfactory enough for the victim who has been impacted.
- File a complaint with the EEOC: You can file an EEOC complaint if you are not satisfied with your employer’s response. The EEOC may launch an investigation and may even take action. Know that to file a complaint with the EEOC, it’s critical to do so promptly. This process can be complicated, and it may be in your best interest to reach out to a lawyer for guidance.
It’s critical to reach out to our team at Davie & Valdez, P.C. to ensure that proper action is taken. To learn more about our services and how we can help, contact our workers’ rights lawyer in El Paso, TX.