How Can A Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident that was caused by another person’s negligence, such as being on a bicycle and getting hit by a car, it may be necessary to contact a personal injury lawyer. Are you struggling to cope with incoming medical bills, the inability to work, and other losses? If so, please consider speaking to a personal injury lawyer from an experienced law firm.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
As the lawyers at Cohen & Cohen can explain, there are many types of personal injury cases, including the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bike accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Unsafe premises
- Negligent security accidents
- Animal bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
These are just some circumstances that could warrant a personal injury claim. If you sustained any level of moderate to severe injuries that resulted in financial losses, you should call a personal injury lawyer.
How A Law Firm May Be Able to Help You
When you retain a lawyer, you can feel peace of mind in knowing that he or she will seek to:
- Meet with you and your loved ones to understand your case
- Explore how your injuries have hindered your ability to work and enjoy life
- Obtain any necessary medical care and testing
- Gather your medical records and review them
- Audit and file all available evidence of the accident and the potential conditions that caused it
- Interview eyewitnesses and document their testimony
- Consult expert witnesses
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Protect your rights throughout the entire process
Damages May Be Available for Your Accident
No two cases are exactly alike. Once you are able to prove the defendant is liable for what happened to you, compensation may be available to cover:
- Any current or future medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
These damages are broad and limited examples of those that are often awarded in a case. Further compensation may be available depending on the factors of your case.
Will My Case Go to Court?
In general, a personal injury lawyer will likely seek to settle your case out of court. This is to keep costs low, and also to ensure you get your compensation as soon as possible. Before we head to court, we will file a claim with the negligent party’s insurance company. To prove your claim we will need to demonstrate:
- Th negligent party owed you a duty of care
- They breached that duty
- The breach caused you to be injured
- Your injury resulted in financial losses
In general, trials are not common in negligence-related cases. Should your case be one of the few that does go to court, an experienced attorney will be ready to speak for you in front of a judge and/or jury.
Schedule Your First Consultation
Your future might seem uncertain. By having a personal injury lawyer at your side, you may feel better in knowing you’re not in this alone. Let an attorney handle your case from start to finish.